If you’re one of those people who used to slather a half ton of condition in your hair before you had dreadlocks and tend towards really dry hair this soak is a great way to moisturizing and condition your locks without any concern about residue because coconut milk is completely water soluble! Alternatively, if your locks are feeling dry and scratchy or you are wanting to loosen them up a bit because you feel like they are too tight, this soak can be a big help! Here’s what you need (note, you made need to double or possibly even triple this recipe depending on the length of your locks):
- 2 cups of powdered coconut milk (you can substitute 2 cans if necessary, just omit steps
- 4 cups hot water
- 10 drops of chamomile essential oil (opt.)
- Large bowl/bucket
- A shower cap (or if you’re creative enough you might be able to make this work with a plastic garbage bag!)
- Combine all ingredients in your bowl/bucket. Mix well.
- Place the bowl on the floor of your tub or shower.
- Begin by first dipping the ends of your dreadlocks (if you’re able to) into the bowl to soak them in the mixture.
- Once you’ve dipped your ends, stand up over the bowl so the drips of coconut milk fall into the bowl and use a cup to pour the mixture over the rest of your locks that can’t be submersed.
- Once you’ve gotten all of your locks wet, put on your shower cap or creatively wrapped\tied plastic bag to cover all of your locks.
- Let soak for 10- 30 minutes.
- After soaking, wash and dry as usual to remove excess coconut milk.